Recently, the weather and the temperatures around the country have been very strange and erratic; so much so, that many of you have probably said, ‘enough is enough!’ However, because you can’t control the weather or the temperature, you have had to ride the waves and adjust your thermostat, adjust the way you dress, as well as adjust your attitude about what was taking place.
Unlike the weather or the temperature, there are many things in your life that you can control when you have had enough. It is always good to know that when you have done all that you can do, and you throw up both your hands, saying, ‘enough is enough,’ you have a choice in the matter. However, too often, many of you don’t recognize when enough is truly enough! You don’t recognize that the situation, the relationship, the habit, the behavior, the job, or other things in your life have gone on negatively for far too long.
Although you have not benefitted from the negative situations and the toxic relationships that you have engaged in, or the negative behaviors that you have been exhibiting, you keep putting up with the mess! As a matter of fact, you will probably NEVER receive any benefits from the negativity that you have been involved in.
You have continuously put up with stuff that you knew was not good for you or in your best interest. You have suffered from low self-esteem, and you have placed others in front of you. This misplaced focus has too many times been at a cost to you, and too often served as a loss for you. You stepped out of your shoes, into the shoes of others, even when they did not fit! You suffered through insurmountable odds, when you probably should have given up a long time ago. You have stuffed your feelings and swallowed your words, just to have friends, family, relationships, positions, and other things that were detrimental to you. However, you have probably hung in there too long. But now, it is time for you to decide that ‘ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,’ and do something about it!
How do you know when ‘enough is enough?’ There are many signs that will help you to realize that you have gone the gamut, some things need to come to an end, change is needed, it’s time to walk away, and it’s time to close some doors. There are many telltale signs. As a matter of fact, you probably knew from the onset that you would do better by not entering into that situation or that relationship in the first place. You also knew that the negative habits, the unfulfilling job, and the insane and inappropriate behaviors that you put forth or put up with from yourself and others, were not healthy for you. However, you continue to hold out hope, believing that she or he will change. PEOPLE DON’T CHANGE!! However, they can grow; but it is their choice. It is not up to you to assume the role of being their change agent!
Arriving at the point in your life when ‘enough is enough’ does not mean that you are quitting or giving up. It simply means that you have finally awakened from a place of denial or from the “Rip Van Winkle Syndrome.’ It also means that you are no longer playing the role of a fool; you will no longer drink from the bottle with the skull and crossbones; and you will no longer put up with the crap that you have been putting up with; or engage in the cesspool of mess that you have been swimming in1
No, arriving at a place of ‘enough is enough’ does not mean that you have given up or given out; it means that you are ready to start over with new perspectives, new visions, new strength, new goals, a new attitude, and clearer directions about life…your life! You are ready for a fresh new start. You have finally come to see that you clearly matter and your life matters. You have moved from living haphazardly in the shadows of others, to living intentionally and casting your own shadow!
My mother used to say, “enough is enough and too much is good for nothing.” If you are not clear as to whether or not you are at the point of ‘enough is enough’ in your life, here are a few of the situations that you probably are dealing with (or not dealing with), in which you should be at the point of saying, ‘ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.’ It is time to hold yourself and others accountable! It is time to take back your power and control!
1. Being abused…physically, emotionally, verbally, psychologically, at home, at work, or in friendships-You were not created to be mistreated nor were you created to be maltreated!
2. You are constantly being misused and controlled—God created you to be used positively and effectively, not misused. You were created with a purpose in mind; and being misused was not it! Take back your power!
3. Being someone else’s doormat—You are meant to stand, not to be walked on.
4. Being depressed most days of your life—You were created to seek the light, find the light, and to be the light...let your light shine!
5. Feeling down and unworthy most days of your life--you must believe that you are worthy of everything great and good. God doesn’t make junk; you are somebody!
6. Being a fool all the time (we all play the fool sometime)—You were created to be wise and smart. Wake up; get a grip; and see the reality of what is going on in your life! Your opinion is just as good as anyone else’s…and it does matter!
7. Cursing and fussing all the time—Your vocabulary is greater than a book of expletives…use it!
8. Holding onto the past and an unforgiving heart—You will never be able to live happily in your present and move successfully into your future, as long as you hold onto your past! Your heart is too small to continue to hold old hurt, pain, and people. Oil and water don’t mix; pain and happiness don’t fit! Let go and let God! Enough is enough!
9. Being behind the eight ball more than in front of it--You must believe that you can do better…see it, believe in it, and believe in yourself; reach for it, go for it and come from behind the eight ball!
10. Being a light switch for others—The measure of who you are should be based on your own yardstick and not the yardstick of others. You are the ultimate determiner of your position in life! You are there to be a light for others and not their switch to flick on and off whenever they desire to do so!
11. Being a drama queen/king…all the time—Yes, life is one big stage, but at some point, you must come to recognize that you are not being paid to act. Everyone knows that you exist…it’s time for you to recognize that you exist also! Love yourself, accept yourself; just be yourself!
12. Being broke and accepting it on a daily basis—Broke is a state of mind. Change your thoughts and mindset about your financial position in life and you will begin to change the contents of your pockets and your bank account. Envision your prosperity; behold your prosperity; speak your prosperity into existence!
13. Having affairs with married men/women—You want to be with someone romantically? Get your own man or woman and leave the married man/woman alone…he/she doesn’t belong to you!
14. Working at an unfulfilling job—Take stock of your life and begin to assess your skills and abilities. And f you don’t have any marketable skills, GET SOME! Go back to school; it is NEVER too late. Stop making excuses and develop an action plan with a purpose in mind. And don’t forget to take action! Stop working to have a job and work to have a career!
15. Perpetrating a fraud—Be yourself! You don’t have to have the biggest most expensive house, the most expensive car, the most expensive purses, or the most expensive shoes or clothing, especially if you can’t afford them! Be thankful for who you are and for what you have! You were made to be unique and different; you don’t have to pretend to be someone you are not. Accept yourself, love yourself, and be yourself!
16. Being spiritually bankrupt—God created you as a living spirit…the very soul and essence of who you are. You are meant to be full of the power within your spirit, to reach into the depths of who you are, and to connect to the creator. Your spirit is your power, full and overflowing. Let your spirit shine!
Now that you know what the problem is, it’s time for you to fix it! ‘Enough IS Enough!’ Get out your paper and pen; it’s time for you to develop your written plan of action, including goals and time lines for you to move beyond the negative stuff that you have endured for too long! It’s time for you to live intentionally! Get up and do it! YOU CAN DO IT! YES YOU CAN!